With a median base salary of $108,000 and one of the highest job satisfaction ratings among all IT positions, data science is one of the hottest careers in IT.
The data scientist is an advanced role, so it’s not exactly easy to jump into. But earning a certification is a great way to catch up on the data skills employers are searching for (and gain access to higher-paying positions).
Keep reading to discover the best certifications for data scientists.
Why Should You Earn a Data Science Certification?
Earning a data science certification will help you master the sought-after skills employers are looking for, such as coding, machine learning and cloud technology. The right certifications will expand your technical know-how, increase your salary and give you greater confidence when you enter the job market.
Some benefits of earning a data science certification include:
- Higher Salary: The data scientist is one of the highest-paying entry-level jobs in the US. Certifications prove to employers that you have the skills needed to do the job right, improving your earning potential and marketability.
- Industry Credibility: Data scientist certifications validate your knowledge to leaders in the industry. Accredited certifications showcase personal aptitude and dedication to ongoing learning.
- Better Job Prospects: A study conducted by Microsoft indicated 91 percent of hiring managers looked for certifications during their candidate selection process. Earning certifications can make you stand out from the competition.
- Valuable New Skills: Learning the latest techniques in coding, machine learning, deep learning and AI will keep you ahead of the curve and make you an invaluable asset in the data science marketplace.
What are the Best Data Science Certifications?
Businesses are eager to hire data scientists, and the talent pool is growing rapidly. One way to set yourself apart from your colleagues is a continued commitment to learning.
Here are the top four data science certifications you can earn to get ahead in your career:
Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Scientist Associate
The Azure Data Scientist Associate certification prepares you to apply Azure’s machine learning tools to train, evaluate and deploy data models that solve complex business problems. This certification is perfect for you if you work in data science, data engineering or data architecture and wish to specialize in Azure cloud solutions.
- Prerequisites: Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals is an optional certification that provides an overview of cloud security, privacy, compliance and trust. It’s also helpful to have 1-3 years of Azure experience before pursuing this credential.
- What You’ll Learn: The Azure Data Scientist exam measures your ability to define and prepare the development environment, prepare data for modeling, perform feature engineering and develop models.
- Training Course: DP-100 Designing and Implementing a Data Science Solution on Azure.
MCSE: Data Management and Analytics
This Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) certification establishes your skills in SQL administration, building enterprise data solutions and leveraging business intelligence data.
It proves you’re an expert in Microsoft technologies including SQL Server, Azure, BI and machine learning.
The exam tests your knowledge in SQL administration, building enterprise-scale data solutions and leveraging business intelligence data on-premises and in cloud environments.
- Prerequisites: First, you’ll need to earn a Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) certification in one of the following: SQL Server 2012/2014, SQL 2016 Database Administration, Database Development, BI Development, Machine Learning, BI Reporting or Data Engineering with Azure.
- What You’ll Learn: You will choose one of eight elective exams to earn this certification. The exams cover topics like designing and implementing SQL Server and analyzing data using various Microsoft big data tools. You’ll gain experience using SQL Server, Azure Machine Learning, Microsoft R, HDInsight and other tools.
- Training Courses: Choose the course that aligns with the Microsoft exam you wish to take:
Google Certified Professional Data Engineer
Professional Data Engineers drive data-driven decision making through collecting, analyzing and publishing data. Earning this certification will give you the confidence to design, build, secure and monitor data processing systems with an emphasis on security and compliance.
- Prerequisites: The exam has no prerequisites. But you should have at least three years of experience working with database technologies and one year designing and managing data solutions in Google Cloud Platform.
- What You’ll Learn: You will gain hands-on experience designing data processing systems, building and operationalizing data processing systems, operationalizing machine learning models and ensuring solution quality.
- Training Courses: Take Google’s recommended courses to make sure you’re ready for the exam:
- Google Cloud Platform Fundamentals: Big Data & Machine Learning
- Data Engineering on Google Cloud Platform
- Preparing for the Professional Data Engineer Examination
EMC Data Science Associate
This credential focuses on practical, hands-on experience that data scientists rely on in their day-to-day role. Earning this certification will prepare you to immediately jump into big data and other analytics projects. It’s also the first step toward earning the Specialist-level EMC Data Science certification, which requires more advanced data science experience.
- Prerequisites: You should have a quantitative background, experience with SQL and a few years using scripting languages such as Java, Perl or Python.
- What You’ll Learn: You’ll be exposed to the data analytics lifecycle, basic data analysis methods using R, advanced analytics theory and methods, advanced data technologies and tools.
- Training Course: Data Science and Big Data Analytics v2
Prepare for Any Data Science Certification with New Horizons
As the world’s largest independent IT training provider, New Horizons can help you achieve growth in your personal life and work environment through interactive, immersive learning experiences.
Whether you’re gearing up for a career change or simply want to demonstrate your analytical acuity, a data science certification can help put you on the path toward a lasting and lucrative career.
Ready to become a better data scientist? Be sure to check out one of our many cloud and big data courses or contact one of our training experts today.