Google Cloud Platform (GCP) is one of the top three public cloud providers today. It has proven itself a worthy competitor in the cloud market with its robust analytics and machine learning capabilities. And many cloud-native businesses are choosing GCP over Azure and AWS.
If you’re looking to master Google Cloud or prove your worth in the lucrative cloud industry, now is the time.
But learning Google Cloud isn’t necessarily easy to jump into. Here’s the best way to learn Google Cloud Platform and advance your career in cloud computing.
What Is Google Cloud?
Google Cloud Platform provides a full range of public cloud services for cloud administrators, software developers and other IT professionals.
Although its services are ideal for smaller, cloud-native startups, Google Cloud has also become the platform of choice for big-name enterprises like 20th Century Fox, Target and PayPal. A survey by SADA Systems found that 49 percent of IT managers prefer Google Cloud Platform over its competitors.
The Google Cloud suite helps organizations manage computing, networking, big data, storage, machine learning and the Internet of Things. Google Cloud Platform offers several categories of services:
- Cloud Storage: Google Cloud offers a full range of storage services. Cloud Storage provides scalable, large-capacity data storage. Cloud Datastore and Cloud Bigtable are options for managing NoSQL data storage, while Cloud SQL sustains MySQL or PostgreSQL databases.
- Computing and Hosting: Google Cloud gives you options for computing and hosting depending on how much responsibility you want to keep (or let Google handle). You can choose to work in a serverless environment, use a managed application platform, leverage container technologies or build your own cloud-based infrastructure.
- Networking: Google’s networking services can help you connect your existing network to Google’s network, load-balance traffic, create DNS records and more.
- Big Data: Google stands out from other cloud providers when it comes to big data. Google’s big data services enable you to process and query vast amounts of data in the cloud and get answers fast. Some of Google’s main products include BigQuery for data analysis, Cloud Dataflow for batch and streaming data processing and Cloud Pub/Sub for asynchronous messaging.
- Machine Learning: GCP offers powerful machine learning services. You can build and train your own large-scale models or use Google’s pre-trained models optimized for specific applications.
While these are the primary types of services, they’re only the tip of the iceberg. Google Cloud offers more than 75 different cloud services for machine learning, big data, application development and so much more. The more you get to know Google Cloud Platform, the more you’ll be able to do.
The Best Way to Learn Google Cloud Platform
Here are a few tips to help you start learning Google Cloud Platform on your own:
Start With Cloud Basics
Before you can get comfortable with Google Cloud Platform, you need to understand the basics of the cloud. Do your research on cloud networking, database, security, storage, big data and machine learning to understand how they all work within the cloud platform.
Not sure where to start? Check out New Horizons’ cloud training courses to get familiar with cloud computing basics before diving into Google.
Explore Free Google Cloud Resources
Google provides a ton of free resources to introduce you to its services and technologies. Try experimenting in one of Google’s free labs or watching a few introductory videos to get a better idea of what’s available in the platform.
Sign Up for GCP Training Courses
Free resources are a great place to get a handle on the basics of Google Cloud Platform. But if you seek true hands-on experience that will prepare you for a career in cloud technology, professional training courses are your best bet.
Whether you’re interested in application development, business and technology, cloud infrastructure or even data and machine learning, there is plenty of Google cloud training available to you.
Structured training in a classroom or online setting can help you retain information better than self-teaching.
Here are a few recommended courses to help you get started:
- Architecting With Google Cloud Platform – Infrastructure: Explore the comprehensive and flexible infrastructure and platform services offered by GCP. You’ll learn how to deploy practical solutions including securely interconnecting networks, encryption keys and access management.
Get Google Cloud Certified
Google offers several certification programs for those interested in becoming Google Cloud Platform experts. The Professional Cloud Architect certification is a great place to start.
A Google Professional Cloud Architect is expected to have a thorough understanding of cloud architecture and Google Cloud Platform. They know how to design, develop and manage robust cloud solutions that accomplish business objectives.
The exam will test your ability to:
- Design and plan a cloud solution architecture
- Manage the cloud solution infrastructure
- Design for compliance and security
- Optimize technical and business processes
To get ready for the Professional Cloud Architect exam, Google recommends you take these courses to gain extensive knowledge of Google Cloud’s core infrastructure and services:
Learn Google Cloud Platform With New Horizons
Ready to advance your cloud career and master Google Cloud Platform?
There’s no better time to get started. Dive into one of our Google cloud training courses or contact one of our training experts for more information.