Choosing the Right Course to Start My Training
With so many options to choose from within one product, find the right training for your future needs. These are the most common questions when choosing the appropriate course.
Part 1 vs Part 2 vs Part 3- Should you have to take the levels of the class in order?Tips when choosing a level:
- Look at each outline to compare what will be covered under the "Course Outline."
- Determine knowledge of the product/subject. How many years? Do you work on the application/product frequently? Do you know the basics?
- Determine what your daily work tasks require.
- Are you going for an official certification? If so, we always recommend taking the courses in order so you can receive complete information and properly prepare for your exam.
- Starting at Part 1: If you're brand new to the application/subject/product or no previous formal training. Need to know the basics or simple formatting and layouts. If you cannot work purely off of hotkeys or short cuts then you will learn a lot in Part 1.
- Starting at Part 2: Start here if you have some experience, previous training on the application/subject/product or knowledge of the basics and can navigate around product/application. Alternatively, you can work purely off of hotkeys or short cuts.
- Starting at Part 3: Start here if you're an expert on the application/product/subject but need formalized training. Have worked on the application/product/service for many years. Be 100% you are knowledgeable on the topics in Part 1 and Part 2 by reviewing those outlines.
- Still not sure? Take an assessment of what level course to enroll in.
- Or contact us to speak with an Subject Matter Expert.
2010 vs 2013 vs 2016- Which version should I enroll into?Tips when choosing a version:
- Look at which version you're currently working on. For example, when you go to open a new Microsoft Word document does it say 2016, 2013, or 2010?
- Are you or your company planning to upgrade to a newer version with 6-12 months? If so, attend the version you will be upgrading to. That way you receive the most up to date information and don't have to retake any training.
- For application courses (Microsoft and Adobe products), our courses are "backwards compatible," meaning the content is exactly the same between 2016, 2013, and 2010 just the most up-to-date information. If you're going to be upgrading not sure if you will be, we recommend the newer version, so you can receive the current information on the latest features. The interface may be a little different, but again, the content is the same.
- For technical courses, if you're not planning a recent upgrade, take the version you are currently working on. Version upgrades with technical courses will be significant and content will be different.
- Still not sure? Contact us to speak with an Subject Matter Expert.
- Disclaimer per Microsoft: "Like most Microsoft products, Microsoft Office 2010 has a support lifecycle during which we provide new features, software updates, security fixes, and so on. This lifecycle lasts for 10 years from the date of the product’s initial release. The end of the lifecycle is known as the product’s end of service. Office 2010 reaches its end of service on October 13, 2020. We strongly recommend that you upgrade your Office installation as soon as possible." Read more FAQs on how this may affect you.
Which learning method is right for me?
Everyone has their own learning style and New Horizons builds training solutions that meet the demands of a wide range of them. Get a preview of all of our learning methods below, and then click the links to explore which method is best for the way you work and learn.
- OnLine LIVE® is our most popular learning method as you can participate in live instructor led courses from the comfort of your home or work office.
- Instructor-Led Training is the foundation of our Integrated Learning Approach and gives beginners the energy and feedback of an in-person classroom setting.
- Hosted Distance Learning is perfect for people who want the schedule of OnlineLIVE® and need the environment of a New Horizons learning center to study with other students.
- NHAnytime eLearning has evolved to provide you with the accessibility, support and content you need to study on your own time using the same core course content as our world-renowned courses.
- NH60 is the ultimate build your own training solution. With 60 minute learning lessons, you will learn exactly what you need to know in the time you have to set aside. Specific project and task focused training will transition you and your team into the most productive organizational units.
- Mentored Learning® combines focused learning, one-on-one mentoring and flexible scheduling to increase your capabilities while maintaining your productivity.
- Onsite Training allows organizations to bring world class trainers into their facility to train employees.
- Rent a Training Room from New Horizons to host your own employee development or offsite meeting.
Still not sure which course is right for you? Contact us below to speak with an Subject Matter Expert.